Hard-impact falls and other injuries can cause unsuspecting people pain, emotional distress, lost wages, and mounting debt. When such incidents arise from someone else’s negligence, asking sufferers to pay for medical services would be fundamentally unfair. People who have experienced such a scenario must contact an experienced California premises liability lawyer. They can help victims avoid legal missteps and build an airtight case to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve.
Davana Law Firm’s experienced legal team offers high-quality representation for personal injury cases. We’ve helped countless clients in California get justice and compensation for accidents, injuries, and more. Our team is committed to ensuring clients receive the best possible counsel and a firm grasp of their rights. Don’t hesitate to contact us at (818) 501-1055 and schedule a free consultation for your case today.
Below, we outline the dos and don’ts of filing a premises liability claim:
What Is a Premises Liability Claim?
Individuals typically file a premises liability claim after they, or a loved one, have suffered an injury on someone else’s property. Their case rests on the basis that the property owner’s negligence led to the injury. By arguing this point, the plaintiff implies that a person or business is responsible for exercising care and maintaining a reasonably safe space.
Common examples of breaching this duty include wet floors without caution signage, cluttered stairways, loose handrails, and other trip and fall hazards. With some exceptions, anyone who is lawfully on private property and sufferers injuries due to unsafe conditions can contact an attorney to file a premises liability claim and recover damages.
What You Should Not Do After a Premises Injury
A California premises liability lawyer can only negotiate and litigate the facts connected with your case. Although you may file an honest and complete claim, you can expect the opposition’s lawyers to reduce or dismiss your claim in any way possible. Common mistakes that bring about these results include:
- Medical Attention Delays: Sometimes, people try to “tough out” injuries. Hoping it won’t be serious, they neglect to visit an emergency room to get checked out. However, this decision can hurt a personal injury case because the defendant’s counsel can argue that the injury occurred somewhere besides their client’s property.
- Not Collecting Evidence: Your lawyer must demonstrate that the defendant breached their duty to keep their property safe and you suffered an injury due to that breach. Therefore, try to get pictures of your injury (and a copy of the medical report) as well as the condition of the property.
It’s also imperative not to post on social media following an incident. One common faux pas is trying to reassure loved ones you are okay, which a smart lawyer may use to argue you aren’t truly injured.
What You Should Do After a Premises Injury
A premises liability claim is only as strong as the supporting evidence. The more an injured party can do to build their case, the more leverage a California premises liability lawyer has to negotiate an out-of-court settlement or earn damages at trial.
You can strengthen your premises liability claim in several ways:
- Take Photos: Use your cell phone to identify the hazardous condition. On-site images provide persuasive evidence to support a claim.
- Request Medical Treatment: If you are experiencing significant pain, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. Additionally, give your initial adrenaline rush time to wear off before determining whether to see a doctor—discomfort may not arise until after it passes.
- Get Names and Contact Details: Try to collect potential witnesses’ names and contact information. Even a phone number can help a premises liability lawyer an opportunity to receive a statement later.
- Compile a File: Full compensation requires a comprehensive, detailed accounting of your quantitative losses. Create a file that includes all medical bills, mileage, lost wages, and other expenses incurred due to your injuries.
One of the keys to a successful premises liability claim is calling an attorney. Insurance companies will try to persuade you to settle for a fraction of the claim’s value. Tell them to speak to your lawyer.
Contact a California Premises Liability Lawyer You Can Trust
The knowledgeable premises liability lawyers at Davana Law Firm can help you to file a claim for injuries caused by a negligent property owner who failed to keep their California premises safe. Our legal professionals speak more than 3 languages and boast 9+ practice specialties. We’re prepared to get you the complete, fair compensation you deserve. Call (818) 501-1055 or visit our website for a free case evaluation or more information.